Friday, February 24, 2012

Missionvale Campus and Surroundings

Missionvale Campus where my office is located is in the heart of a township.  As you know, townships in South Africa have been the locations where blacks were required to live during apartheid.  Since apartheid, there is no longer a restriction on place of residence, but the legacy of apartheid does not allow many township residents to have the economic viability of moving to better quality homes.  During my frequent visits to South Africa in the last decade, I have seen gradual improvement in living quality in the townships.  Many areas now have electricity and running water.  Many others still are in deep poverty.
Missionvale campus of Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University (NMMU) is located in the heart of a very poor township.  The campus stands as a “beacon of light and hope” for the township residents as it serves to provide access to higher education and a better life as a result of better education.  Progress is slow, but hope is ever present.
I write this on Friday and the end of my month long series of workshops, seminars, and conversations with hundreds of faculty, staff, and students.  I am full of gratitude and deep pleasure reflecting on my visit here.  Most of all, I am excited about the possibility of returning in 2013 as the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (second in command at NMMU) has invited me back for a three month visit next year.  My work then will include a project focused on continuing to transform the teaching and learning culture and climate here.  The foundation has been laid in this visit, and I’m eager to return to continue the process.
Tomorrow David and I go to Cape Town for some much anticipated rest and relaxation and to celebrate David’s birthday on Saturday.  We will have dinner Sat. night at the home of a woman known to Aleen, David’s daughter.  Sunday we will drive around the Cape of Good Hope and soak in the gorgeous scenery as well as a penguin colony migrating there from Antarctica.  Monday we will take a boat to tour Robben Island where Mandela was imprisoned for 27 years and return to PE Monday night.
Tuesday next week is our last full day in PE with time to say our farewells.  We depart PE on Wednesday and head toward our next destination – Tunis, Tunisia. Stay tuned for news from North Africa in the next posting.
Here are some photos to give you the feel of Missionvale and surroundings.









1 comment:

  1. Hi,


    Please provide me the email id of webmaster of your website: http://africaadventure2012.blogspot.com/


    Thanks

    ReplyDelete